cupcakes

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Easy Dinner Rolls

This is the first yeast bread I ever made and it was a LOT easier than I thought it would be!  With a few texts and pictures sent to my dad (bread-baker extraordinaire) to make sure things looked like they should, it was a breeze.  I think he might have been a little proud of me when he tasted the finished product...I hope!


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • 2 cups all purpose white flour, plus another 1/2 cup or so for kneading
  • 1 pkg rapid rise yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp)
  • 2 Tbs sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Warm milk water and butter in small pan on stove.  Warm only to a temp of 90-100 degrees, warm to the touch, not hot.  If your butter is cold you may have to melt it a bit in microwave beforehand.  If you get the liquid too hot, let it cool down, this is crucial, because too hot will ruin the mix!  

While liquid warms, use a large bowl and combine 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar, salt and mix with wooden spoon.  Add heated liquid mix to dry mix and stir with wooden spoon.  Then add remaining 1 cup flour and mix more.  At this point my dough was crumbly and not mixing with the spoon and I thought I'd messed up.  But I started using my hands to mix and it all started sticking together beautifully.  So I mixed and then kneaded with my hands for 5 min.  Form dough into a ball and leave in bowl covered by a towel to rise for about 45 min- hour.  It should about double in size.  Then divide dough into 8 or 16 rolls, depending on size, I made 16 smaller ones.  Roll them into a ball with hands and place in a greased round cake pan.  Let rise 30 more minutes in pan then bake for 20 min at 375.

From start to finish you can make these in about 2.5 hours, with down time for dough to rise.  Enjoy!!








Nutritional facts: 73 calories, 1 g fat, 2 g sugar, 4 g sodium, 0 g fiber, 2 g protein.  Based on 16 rolls.

Thanks to my sister-in-law Rebecca for sharing her mom's roll recipe with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment