cupcakes

Friday, April 26, 2013

Light Blueberry Muffins

I found this recipe in a Hungry Girl cookbook.  I adapted it a little bit because it was actually a little too sweet the first time I made them. I also wanted to use real eggs instead of egg substitute.  This recipe makes either 36 mini muffins or 18 large muffins.  I love the minis myself...it just feels like you can eat more without the guilt... Of course that's all in my head, but they're still cuter in mini form!

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour - (reserve out about half of this flour in a soup or small batter bowl - I'll tell you why later!)
  • 1/2 cup light domino (sugar & stevia blend for baking)
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I always use fine sea salt for baking)
  • 1 cup light vanilla soymilk or almond milk (or any milk you want really)
  • 1/4 cup sugar free or light pancake syrup
  • 1 egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 4 TBS light whipped butter, room temp (I use Brummel & Brown yogurt spread)
  • 4 TBS unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups blueberries (I recommend frozen for best turnout, keep in freezer until you need them)
Line muffin tins with baking liners or spray with nonstick spray.  
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a medium bowl whisk together flours, sugars, baking powder, salt.  In a large bowl combine milk, syrup, eggs, butter spread, applesauce and vanilla.  Whisk until thoroughly blended.  Butter bits may not break up completely but that's ok.  Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until completely blended.

Baker's Tip:  Put your 2 cups of frozen blueberries in the small bowl of flour we set aside earlier and stir to coat the blueberries in flour.  This prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the batter when you bake!  It's worth that extra little step I think.
Pour that blueberry & flour mixture into your bowl of batter and mix to combine.
Evenly distribute batter into muffin tins, filling each cup only 3/4 full or you will have overflow.

Bake for 15 minutes for mini muffins, 20 for large, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.








Look at that BLUEBERRY GOODNESS!!!

Nutritional Facts:  114 cal, 1.8 g fat, 13 g sugar, 45 g sodium, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. (for one large muffin, or 2 mini)

No comments:

Post a Comment