cupcakes

Saturday, June 29, 2013

"Deceptively Delicious" Chocolate Chip Cookies

One of these ingredients just doesn't belong, I'll admit that.  I was skeptical when I saw these at a friend's house, I'll also admit...but I've never been one to pass up trying a different type of chocolate chip cookie... They're all different in their own way, and deserve to be tasted at least once.  These taste amazing and you'd never know there are chickpeas/garbanzo beans in them!  I promise!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1/2 c butter or Brummel & Brown yogurt spread (or recipe calls for"trans-fat free soft tub margarine spread")
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 of a 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 c semisweet chocolate chips (or peanut butter chips for a variation)
  • 2 c all purpose flour
  • 1/2 c old fashioned oats
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt



















Preheat oven to 350.  In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and softened butter or spread until smooth.  Stir in egg whites then vanilla, then chickpeas, then chocolate chips.  Add the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt.  Mix until a thick dough forms.  I usually end up using my hands to combine everything.  (This method is different from any other recipe I've made, and I didn't know how it would work, but it actually works fine, but like I said, using your hands on the last step really helps.  It saves dirtying another bowl!)





Drop by tablespoon size onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart, then use a fork or your hands to flatten them down some.




Bake 11 to 13 minutes, don't overbake!  Transfer to cooling rack.




I've recently made these with peanut butter chips and a few of my family members like them better than the chocolate chip!  Personally, I'll always pick chocolate....

Oh and these are really good kept refrigerated....


Nutritional Facts:  (for one cookie - recipe made 44 cookies)  86 cal, 3 g fat, 6 g sugar, 60 g sodium, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.

*recipe adapted from Deceptively Delicious cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld

1 comment:

  1. They were super delicious! Especially when they were refrigerated. And also really good for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete